Hello lovelies, hope you all doing well.
Today I bring to you a tutorial/DIY project on how to make an Off Shoulder Gather Crop Top with Detachable Sleeves. This top can be styled in more ways than one. Styling this top will come up in my next post. I really fancy anything off shoulder, be it a top, dress or a
trouser, ha-ha just kidding. Making this particular off shoulder top is really easy, it’s the same way you’ll make a gather skirt with elastic band; you will confirm this statement as we proceed with the tutorial.
This are the items needed
- · Fabric of your choice (from 1.5 yard depending on how full u want the gather to be)
Here are the steps
For all measurements, I’ll be using inches (“), NOT centimeter (cm)
1. Firstly, take all the measurements. Measure around (the width) your upper bust (mine is 32″), do same to the upper arm (mine is 10″). Take the measurement of your desired length of the crop top, from the upper bust to where you would like it to stop (my desired length is 11″) and do same to the sleeve( my desired length is 8″)
2. Fold your material into two (2) and place on a flat surface. Remember my upper bust measure is 32″. Now measure that 32″ (your own upper bust measurement) on the folded fabric. We folded the fabric into two(2) so that 32″doubles into 64″, and as a result when we put the elastic, the material gathers and shrink back to fit the correct upper bust measurement.
3. We have measured 32″ on the folded fabric, add 1″ sewing allowance, which now makes it 33″. Move to the top of the fabric and measure out 1″, this 1″ is the allowance for the elastic band. I would suggest you increase your own elastic band allowance to one and half (1.5″) just to be on the safe side. Now start measuring your desired length of your crop top from beneath that elastic band allowance; my desired length is 11″. Then add 1.5″ hemming allowance which now makes it 12.5″. Get your scissors and cut out the measurement at point 33″ and 12.5″.
4. Time to move to your sewing machine. You can actually use needle and thread for this DIY, albeit that would take a pretty long time, but if you are patient then go ahead. Remember that 1″ sewing allowance we added to 32″, now put the edges together and sew neatly along. Move to the top were I told you guys to put one and half inch (1.5″) elastic band allowance instead of 1inch, fold in half inch and then fold another 1″ but add some measurements to that 1″ as I have done above, mine is not exactly 1inch, its something like 1.3inch, we are doing this for two (2) reasons, (1) because the elastic band I am using is exactly 1″ and (2) so that the elastic band can move freely. Now sew neatly very close to the edge as possible.
5. When sewing, leave a little opening, this is where you would insert your elastic. Lest I forget, for the elastic band measurement, I used 27″ I just simply subtracted 5″ from my upper bust measurement which is 32″; and for the sleeve I just subtract only 2″. OK, Let’s continue; now Pin your safety pin on the edge of your elastic band, this is an easy way of passing your band through the cloth. Now with the elastic band inserted, keep pushing the band in until it meets with the other end of the band.
6. Sew the two edges together and then sew that small opening you left. Dn’t forget to hem underneath your crop top. And viola, you have a gather crop top. This is quite similar to a gather skirt right?
Do this exact same process to get the sleevefor your crop top
It’s that simple guys; I hope you understood this tutorial. Please if you have any questions or u do not understand something from this tutorial, contact me HERE
and I will be glad to help out.
Thanks For Visiting